Thursday 28 January 2010

WHS: The Big Install (Part 2)

Well, I've got the remote access running now by manually configuring the ports on my router, including opening the required port for WebGuide to stream media.

Now that this is working I'm able to upload files to the home server via drag and drop in Internet Explorer, which will be useful, but not as useful as it was in the days prior to SkyDrive and Mesh. It's nice to know the only limits I'll have are my own disc space though.

And whilst I'm able to connect to the server via remote desktop, I'm not yet able to connect to any client machines. This is probably because I need to re-start, but unfortunately I didn't have time to test the laptop this morning, and the desktop machine is still less that 70% through its first backup at the time of writing (about 10:25), despite having kicked this off at about 20:30 last night (hopefully subsequent backups will be tiny, that's what you'd expect, if that's not the case I'm in trouble for disc space anyway).

One of the things I need to see after the desktop backup completes is if the media files get put into the media directories automatically. If not I'll be copying these with SyncToy periodically, but at least then I'll be able to remove them from the backup cycle, which to be fair is where most of the backup file size comes from.

The other feature I've made use of today is remote desktop via the Mesh client, which is really useful, but also incredibly slow (I guess the backup isn't helping). I've since opened up the required ports, but again I need to restart before these changes take place.

No doubt I'll elaborate in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. You'll have to put the media files in the directory yourself I'm afraid.
    On the backups side, subsequent backups will be incremental and should only take a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denis,

    I found that out the hard way. Nevermind, I've set up a bunch of folder pairs in SyncToy and now the media directories are full.

    I'll be taking the media files out of the Back-Up set, that should help a little with disc space.

    It also helped that I managed to get my Belkin N+ router connecting at more than 54K after discovering there's a bug in the Atheros chipset requiring web encryption to be set to WPA2. 162K at 50% utilisation helps things along to the point where I wonder if the 100 Base-T card in the machine may now be a bottleneck, not that it much matters now the bulk of the data is over.

    Now I need to find out why the machine won't hibernate.

    ReplyDelete