Friday 23 July 2010

I wonder how this will pan out...

Well, I don't think Microsoft will be loosing much sleep over it, but it appears that two unrelated situations mean I'm going to start looking into developing Android applications rather than for Windows Phone, at least in the short term, allow me to explain:

The first culprits involve the decisions Microsoft are taking with the direction of Windows Phone 7. It started off with the removal (or is it actually more accurate to say omission?) of Cut and Paste functionality. From articles I've been reading recently this is down to a lack of time for getting it developed by release time, rather than not knowing how to implement it. As a friend from Nokia commented "What, were they worried they could do cut and not paste in the time available?".

The lack of C&P was originally sold to developers as a conscious decision ("A phone doesn't need C&P" - Really? Then why write Office Tools for it?), now we're told "it's coming later". Not the end of the world, but frustrating. Still, I agree it's better to get it right than put in something that's buggy or badly designed and then be stuck with it forever more.

The killer move, for me, is the apparent lack of any way of side-loading applications. As is the case with iOS, you get your applications from Windows Marketplace or not at all. That's essentially shut me out. It's all very well running anything I code in a desktop emulator, but then I may as well have just written a desktop application. If I can't actually get it onto a phone (and possibly those of my friends) what's the point? This is the number one reason why I've avoided Apple phones all this time.

Then there is the work related chain of events.

When I started out at my previous job the plan was to move into C# (as I believed the role required, it's certainly what was advertised and what I interviewed for). Previously I had been working in Java but I was happy to move to C#, it's a great langusge. Being a Java developer a large personal application I had been working on I was also written in Java. When I "moved" to C# I started porting my code over too. Doing such things works as a good aid in getting to grips with a new language or language features.

Now I'm going back the other way to Java as the primary language in my work role, so guess what else I'm now planning on doing? [Moving my application back to Java]

Here's the killer: Just as I was hoping the C# code would allow me to share core components of the application between Windows, Windows Mobile and Phone, and possibly web sites, it turns out that the primary development language for Android appears to be Java.

So now Java potentially gives me access to Android Phones, The Android OS (for Laptops, Slates, etc.), and with a little work (hopefully not too much) Windows, Linux, MacOS, possibly even MeeGo. Oh, and I believe web servers can also run something called servlets too. Oh, and just for fun, the Windows Mobile phone I currently have includes Java too... oh, and I know S60 used to run Java. Wow!

The killer which I'm brushing over is obviously that there will be an incredible amount of work to customise the user experience and display for each system, possibly this could be the lions share of the work, but I do at least take some comfort that at least some of the core business logic may be sharable between systems.

Looks like until my priorities change again this is the logical route for me to get back into Java in my spare time above the demands of work.

So now the new laptop has arrived one of the first things going onto it will be a shiny new install of Eclipse and the Android SDK. Oh, did I mention that's all free? That's possibly a little unfair a comparison, the Express versions of Visual Studio are excellent (that's one of the downsides to all this, I find the Visual Studio IDE an absolute joy to use. For Java development I prefer NetBeans, but since I'm on Eclipse at work, and most of the Android documentation references Eclipse I may as well use that).

Will you ever see any of these fruits of my labour? probably not (almost certainly not), but the point is the more I play, the more I learn, and as long as some of that is relevant I end up getting something out of it over and above the hobby side.

Now, of course, I'm reliant on Oracle not screwing things up with Java (well, no more than Sun managed at the very least).

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment