Wednesday 17 March 2010

Game over WinMo7?

It certainly looks that way.

To be fair to Microsoft, this initial release of Windows Phone 7 offers a lot from what is essentially version 1 of the OS.

That said, (what I consider) stupid decisions like the aforementioned lock-in to the Marketplace and removal of cut and paste functionality have, as you know if you’ve seen my previous entries, made my heart drop.

I’ve also just been reading a quick article on what’s [not] in the first release of Windows Phone 7 which is staggering, little is particularly new news, but put together it’s clear this is a version 1 OS and some of the core benefits to myself and many other users of earlier Windows Mobile incarnations are being discarded.

As a result I really don’t believe WinPh7 will offer what I’m after as a user, at least not in its initial release. This is terrible news because as a developer I was getting genuinely excited.

Obviously I don’t know for sure what route I’ll take when it’s time to upgrade in November, but at the moment Android seems to be ticking way more boxes than as a user.

I may download the development kits and write a few apps, but my enthusiasm will be massively reduced if they never get any further than the emulator, although to be fair I’m not even sure they’d make it to the phone even if I have one, since I’m still unclear what the deployment process involves.

I feel a little cheated as I was really expecting great things from this initial release. Sadly it looks like that’s not likely to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment