Tuesday 16 March 2010

So that’s the shine taken off Windows mobile 7

Well, it seems part of my prayers have been answered, the tools to develop applications for Windows Phone 7 will be offered for free! That’s absolutely great news.

However…

It looks like applications will now have to be sold via the Windows Mobile Marketplace, so no downloading and installing apps from anywhere else then?

And they will also be vetted in the same way as Apple currently does I assume. If MS decide they don’t like your app it could presumably be removed (or declined in the first place).

Sure, I understand this means that apps will need to meet a certain quality and that some of the frankly abysmal applications you can find for Windows Mobile and Android will not be accepted, thus keeping the quality higher, but this could be achieved by the marketplace without this unnecessary restriction.

This really is a shame, I have been one of those people deriding the fact that to get an application on an iPhone you need to go through the iTunes app store, now MS are doing the same.

Shame.

So now it’s all about the tools. If I find I can get on with developing apps with the tools available I may still get a Windows 7 phone, if not then I guess it’s over to Android or Symbian.

And what about the fact I develop apps for personal use… will they work?

No comments:

Post a Comment