Friday 26 October 2012

Close, but no cigar


With the initial underwhelming release of the Microsoft surface (the price is a shade more than I hoped although probably not unreasonable, but with no GPS or NFC I feel there is a missed opportunity), and the general feeling that the next wave of devices should be substantially better, I had convinced myself not to get a tablet for another six to nine months. 

Then Saturday evening I settled down to a little surfing on my more than capable laptop. Five minutes in the screen flickered, then died. 

Bugger. 

Powering off and even removing the battery failed to help, but something odd was happening, the bios and boot loader screens were displaying, but as soon as the OS selection menu should have appeared power to the screen would stop (as seen by that completely black appearance where even the backlight is off). 

This was all very strange and it looked like this would be my third laptop in a row rendered useless by a failing graphics chip. 

So Sunday saw me reluctantly looking over the few details I can find on upcoming convertible tablet/laptop convertibles. 

Nothing I could see grabbed me. Several look good, especially a couple of models from Acer and Lenovo, but nothing without significant compromise from what I have convinced myself I want (not necessarily need). 

I consider myself a power user, and compared to most this is probably true, but I came to a realisation some time ago that for 90% of my usage something way behind the bleeding edge would be perfect. 

I don't play games seriously on my laptop, just the odd puzzler and other simple stuff. In fact the main need I have for a powerful processor is video editing and encoding, along with the ripping of my CD collection, and even most of this can be done adequately on a mid range laptop now. 

I do run many applications concurrently, and being a developer I also need plenty of memory and a decent speed processor, but easily less than I probably think I need. 

What I want is something along the lines of the Asus Transformer line, a mid range Ivy Bridge i5, at least 4 but preferably 8 Gb ram, at least 8 hours real world battery life but the more the better (12 hours or above would make me very happy). But here's the killer - something that docks so I can have the kind of setup that Mike Taulty wrote about. 

It looks like I'm a little too early to get all this in a suitable package. It seems to me that the technology is very close, but not quite there. 

So I started thinking about how I can manage without a proper laptop until something suitable is a reality. I have the Xoom, and whilst this is a marvellous device it doesn't quite tick enough boxes to work all the time, in the same way that a Windows RT device doesn't (think development and video tools). 

All things considered though it looked like the Xoom would need to fill the gap until details of all the release devices were available, possibly longer. 

Then I got to thinking - my laptop actually contains two graphics chips, perhaps one had failed but the other was still working, hence why the initial boot screen displays (although still looking a bit odd that it fails at the OS selection screen). A quick jump to the BIOS revealed I can change the setting for graphics from Switchable to force Discreet, after which I rebooted and everything works fine again, soviet with power/performance being less than optimal now. 

Suddenly, and to more relief than I'd imagined I have a working laptop again, but it has revealed a few things about myself in the process: I've been looking forward to getting a convertible tablet/laptop ever since my last Windows tablet died (from a failing graphics chip) several years ago, and thought I'd rush out and get something as soon as the new devices were released alongside Windows 8. However it appears I'm actually a little more controlled than I gave myself credit for. This is good. 

Or is it just that the devices I've seen so far have just not been particularly compelling? 

Either way, in sure that when a device does eventually come out that meets enough of my criteria, I'll get it. 

But at least now I'll be more sure that the decision wasn't completely rushed

No comments:

Post a Comment