Wednesday 31 October 2012

Windows 8 with Windows Home Server 2011


Just a quick one this time…. Hopefully.

After running the "Release Preview" and "Enterprise Trial" versions of Windows 8 over the last several months, I actually managed to get my laptop into a state where I was happy to blank it off and install Windows 8 Pro as its only operating system.

With the caveat that all new Windows installations tend to boot quickly (until you start filling them with… erm… useful applications) I'm impressed with the boot time of the system. This is a two year old laptop with mechanical HDD, yet I can boot to the log-in screen in 19 seconds (of which eleven seconds are taken by the BIOS check). This is fast enough that I'm tending only to sleep the system if I need to keep the desktop state. As a result I'm shutting down now (I used to sleep) in preference - although this is also partly down to the issue that sometimes after waking the machine (from sleep) the cursor tends to be a little erratic.

I'll have more thoughts on Windows 8 over future posts no doubt (but frankly there are enough reviews out there that I'm not going to bother adding to the noise), however in case you were in any doubt: I like the new OS, but I am aware there are issues that need to be resolved, some fairly major.

One thing I am pleased about is the apparent simplicity of adding the Windows 8 laptop to the Windows Home Server backup schedule. This, as you would hope is done exactly the same way as earlier versions of Windows, and seems to be running without issue.



The one thing that has got me puzzled is that I have only managed to connect via remote desktop from the web page once (as in the very first time I tried), after which I get the following error (every time since):



I have no idea why this is happening. I can connect without issue via the remote desktop client. Unfortunately I'm not given an opportunity to fix this issue, and don't know where I should look on the server to make changes. Even Google seems bereft of answers (or indeed questions). No doubt I'll have a poke around, but I'm not feeling confident at this stage.

Other than that annoyance, so far so good. Hopefully my desktop will be converted soon too.

Now to start filling the laptop with crap again!

No comments:

Post a Comment