Thursday 8 April 2010

iPad Mobile 7 [Series]

I've just been reading Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you shouldn't, either) on BoingBoing, and it seems to me much of what Cory Doctorow is saying will apply not only to the iPad but also to Windows Mobile 7 phones, with the exception of the non-replaceable battery.

Yes, Microsoft are giving away some wonderful tools to create applications for the device, but whilst they give this with one hand, the other hand takes this benefit away by restricting distribution channels to one vendor. The way I see it is that this is not a million miles away from the comments Cory makes on the Comic Book application, only in my case applied to software.

I've made this point before, so I won't harp on, but I just thought this was a nice perspective on the iPad/WinMo7 problems.

I was wondering why the iPad was being launched so close to the next revision of the iPhone OS, but I imagine it's so Apple can say "Hey, those gripes you had about Multi-tasking, and x, y, z, we've fixed them already! Look how cool and responsive we are", and thus keep the hype going a little longer and help people "forget" the remaining flaws.

For the record, My current stand on Windows Phone 7 is looking like this:

I'm not interested in getting a phone until some of my concerns are addressed (Multi-tasking, App Marketplace, Copy/Paste, SQL Server CE)

I'm very interested in writing some experimental apps for the device, which will possibly never leave the emulator (proof of concept?), but which I see as helping in my quest to master .Net development.

Time will tell what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment