Friday 26 July 2013

Hot Stuff - Part III

A few updates for your delight…

On returning from my failed visit to the EE store on Tuesday, I tweeted for help from Nokia, followed by a tweet to complain to EE.

Nokia got back to me after a while and we had a small discussion of how to resolve the locking phone issue. Unfortunately I had already attempted the steps they suggested, but full marks for actually making the effort. Nokia also suggested taking the phone into one of their repair centers and avoiding EE altogether. I consider this good advice after my recent experience.

Wednesday rolled around and I made the journey over to Stepney Green to the East London “Nokia Cares” (repair) center. The guy reset the phone without much fuss, and I was out within half an hour (probably closer to twenty minutes) with a working phone. This is now sporting my backup Orange SIM. Slightly worryingly I notice the device still gets very hot, this time when downloading several of my missing apps over a WiFi connection… so I may not be out of the woods yet.

Also, as an aside, the guy in the Nokia shop pulled out a second tray sitting under the SIM tray and got the IMEI number from that. Why didn’t anyone in the EE store know (or care enough to know) about this trick?

As mentioned before, my old Lumia 800 now has my T-Mobile SIM, but this is proving to be interesting too. It seems that not only are calls being dropped of failing to connect, but that after a few hours in the phone mobile data is non-existent despite the display claiming otherwise. Exactly the same issues I noticed in my Lumia 920. I know the Lumia 800 is fine having used it with the Orange SIM, so it appears the suspect for all the problems has reverted to the SIM card, not the Lumia 920 itself. Perhaps it got so hot as it was spending all its time searching for a signal?

My next step in this saga was to call EE and relay that information to them. “Oh yes, that sounds like a SIM issue” was the response, “Pop into a store and they can replace it for you.”

Call me old fashioned if you will, but after my last experience, I’m not going anywhere near an EE store if I can help it, so even though I may be without a phone connection for a week, I asked them to post me a replacement. We’ll see if this helps soon I imagine.

So back to the Lumia 920. It’s still overheating, but since I had it in a case until recently, this may be “normal” (seems a bit too warm to me, but we’ll see). So it may still need to be checked by Nokia. Talking of which, the first thing they look for when you take the phone in for repair is physical damage. Fortunately my phone had none.

Had being the key word. “Had” no damage. “Had” been living in a case.

Can you see where this is going yet?

I’m using the L920 over WiFi (the Orange SIM in it is Pay As You Go and has no data allowance) for certain apps and as a glorified MP3/Podcast player until the new T-Mobile SIM arrives. This morning whilst getting off the train at Stratford station, phone in hand, I went to look at the screen, lost my grip and in the process of trying not to drop it, batted it up in the air for it to fall hard on the brick platform.

Arse!

So now the phone does show some signs of physical damage. The screen is still fine, thankfully, but the case has a couple of scratches and two sharp chips taken out of opposite corners.

So if I do take it in for inspection due to the overheating, when they look for physical damage they’ll find some. I wonder how that is going to play out.

Still, I take some small consolation that had it been a fruity phone, the front or back would be shattered into a thousand tiny fragments by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment